The holidays are a time of merriment and fun. It seems like there is almost no end to holiday goodies and treats out there. This can lead to unwanted weight gain. Maintaining a healthy weight is important for overall wellbeing. Here are some tips to keep the pounds off this holiday season.
• Stay active: Oftentimes, holiday traditions involve sedentary activities. Try to incorporate new actives like a family walk or games that involve movement like charades.
• Don’t skip protein: Many holiday favorites are rich in carbs but lack protein. Try to get protein in with every meal. It will leave you feeling fuller and less likely to overindulge.
• Control portion sizes: This is what often gets people, eating too large portions. A neat trick is to use smaller plates. They allow less food to be put on them and clearing off a whole smaller plate can help us feel fuller.
• Serve meals restaurant style: Keep the food in the kitchen and only bring what can fit on a plate to the dinner table. Not having the food directly in front of you can reduce the urge to eat more of it.
• Wait before taking seconds: Wait a few minutes after clearing a plate before deciding to go back for more. It often takes a few minutes or so for the body to start registering the food that’s already been eaten. Try chatting with friends or go for a walk before getting that second helping.
The holidays do not have to lead to weight gain. Taking some simple steps and eating everything in moderation can help keep excess weight off.
Tracy Sacre, President & Owner of Proof of Care
Tracy is a Registered Nurse and the owner of Proof of Care, Vancouver’s leading home health company. After 20 years of nursing and 7 years of teaching caregivers, Tracy realized that the standard of care in the community for caregiving was desperately poor. In 2011 she took up the challenge and launched Proof of Care, which has gone on to provide care for hundreds of seniors, employ over 250 professional caregivers and lead the field by giving Canada’s best home care experiences daily.
Tracy can be found giving engaging speeches & seminars throughout Vancouver where she is fast becoming the authority on elder care in the home. While Tracy’s best known for her expertise in home care, her clients and staff share that her biggest impact comes from her ability to connect with seniors at an individual level and advocate for their physical and mental health.
Proof of Care service ranges from Companion Care, through to Personal Care, and Nursing – everything from keeping you company and helping with light housekeeping, to administering medications and changing dressings on wounds. All of these services are available in-home, or wherever home is – such as assisted living or long-term care living.
If you or an ageing loved one are considering Home Care Services in Vancouver, BC, please contact the caring staff at Proof of Care today on 604 986 2273, 24 hours a day.