Bored with Walking Routines?
It’s no secret that exercise is an essential part of staying healthy. That doesn’t mean we need to hit the gym every day, although it is a good idea when possible. Walking is an easy form of physical activity to start because many people can walk wherever they are, without days or weeks of preparing and planning. Walking is the simplest form of exercise, but let’s face it, walking can become boring.
The health benefits of walking far outweigh the boring concept, such as: • burning calories
• improving fitness
• lowering the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes
• lifting mood
It is recommended that adults need 150 minutes or 2.5 hours of moderate exercise per week to stay healthy. That breaks down to about 30 minutes 5 days a week. One of the problems with walking is some people find walking boring. Boredom may cause a lack of motivation and lack of interest in exercise. How can we make walking for exercise more fun?
Here is how to bring a little fun into a simple everyday walk and make walking less boring.
• Social walk: instead of sitting and chatting with loved ones, chat during the walk.
• Interval-training walk: add brief bursts of speed during a brisk walk.
• Hiking: explore a trail and enjoy nature.
• Play photographer: snapping pictures during the walk can spark a creative side.
• Pump a favorite playlist: use upbeat tempos and walk to the music.
• Start a walking club.
• Adopt a dog
Walking is a simple and effective workout that anyone can do for better health. Whether walking with friends or listening to a mystery audio book; the best part is the more we enjoy our walks, the more likely we are to stick to the routine. With a bit of creativity, walking can be an activity that we look forward to each day instead of a chore. Put your best foot forward and have fun!